HARARE – MDC-T interim leader, Thokozani Khupe has moved to try and block all members of the 2014 structures viewed as Nelson Chamisa’s allies from taking part in the much anticipated special congress.
This comes after some members of the 2014 Standing Committee who have backed Chamisa acknowledged the Supreme Court ruling on the extension of the Congress date and subsequently called for party structures to immediately convene in preparation of the congress.
Douglas Mwonzora, who is the party’s interim secretary general confirmed this position while addressing the media.
“These congress processes are open to MDC-T people only.
“All those people who have been recalled are not eligible as candidates or as participants, they are not our members. Similarly all those people who are national executive members, national council members of other political parties other than MDC-T cannot take part in the congress processes,” said Mwonzora during the address of the press.
Mwonzora said they will meet the national executive and national council on October 9 and October 11 respectively to start the preparations of the extraordinary congress.
Khupe has so far recalled more than 32 MPs from parliament while municipalities have also suffered the purge with 165 Councillors recalled to date, including four city Mayors.
A Supreme Court ruling passed back in March gave her interim leadership of the party after a long battle with Nelson Chamisa to replace the party’s founder, the late Morgan Tsvangirai which culminated in the latter emerging as the winner while Khupe went on to boycott and contested the last elections separately.
However, the separation did not settle the issue with Khupe partnering with Mwonzora and Komichi among others to attack the MDC-Alliance this year.
Since the Supreme Court ruling, the recalls have been ongoing and the fight for the Harvest House intensified this week after it was reoccupied by youths claiming to be 2014 MDC-T youths demanding for the top leadership to resolve the disputes