(Last Updated on January 7, 2021 by GERALD NCUBE)
…as Health Ministry Receives More Funds For Intensified Covid-19 Response
ZIMBABWE – Public Service, Labour and Social Welfare Minister Professor Paul Mavima says the government is set to reintroduce the cash disbursement programme in an effort to cushion vulnerable citizens against the harsh economic pressure of the newly reactivated level four national lockdown.
The country on Tuesday began a 30-day stricter lockdown which allowed the operation of specific business entities under the ‘essential services’ category only, effectively closing out the majority of citizens who are in the informal sector from any economic activity for the duration of the said lockdown.
However, yesterday Mavima said the government was going to restart the programme to cushion citizens adding that last year over 276 000 people had benefitted from the programme.
“We are working on activating the cash payouts to mostly the vulnerable people who will be affected by the lockdown announced over the weekend. We need to have the cash payouts so that the people at least have money to buy mealie meal and cooking oil for their families. Last year over 276 000 people benefitted from the cash disbursements,” he said.
Meanwhile, deputy Health Minister Dr John Mangwiro said the ministry received ZWL$7 billion to intensify the country’s response to Covid-19 following a recent spike of infections in the last few weeks.
He said the funds will be used to motivate and employ more health workers and procure personal protective equipment among other supplies.
“Government has cumulatively availed $7 billion to motivate and employ more health workers, procure testing kits, PPEs (personal protective equipment), sundries, sanitisers and to improve infrastructure,” said Mangwiro.