(Last Updated on July 4, 2023 by ZIMDAILY EDITOR)
CHITUNGWIZA – The unofficial Citizens’ Coalition for Change CCC candidate in St Mary’s constituency, Freddy Masarirevhu, said he will not withdraw his candidature in spite of continued pressure from the party leaders and supporters on social media.
“The problem I was having is withdrawing something I did not file. To withdraw means you have put in something. Well I did not, so it never made any sense for me. If they did not submit my name, then they can simply ask ZEC to remove it; if there is need, I will assist,” said Masarirevhu.
While denying his hand in the submission of documents, eyewitnesses noted that his election agent was seen at the nomination court, allegations that Masarirevhu has not refuted.
St Mary’s continues to be a political hotbed with Zanu PF aiming to steal some urban seats especially St Mary’s, Zengeza East, Epworth and Mbare.
The Zanu PF candidate, Robert Jinjika and his councillors have been going around the constituency making huge donations as a way to sway the voters to vote Zanu PF.
Speaking anonymously, one church member at a local Roman Catholic Church said Jinjika made a donation of USD 20 000 while his five councillors gave USD 1 000 each during a church service. This gesture was seen as one way that Zanu PF is heavily investing in the campaign, and the double candidature in the constituency is seen to aid the Zanu PF drive.
ZEC officially announced the candidates for the 23rd of August 2023 harmonised elections. With just under two months before Zimbabwe holds general elections, the CCC has been making frantic efforts to convince unapproved members to withdraw from the race amid fears they could divide votes.
CCC leader, Nelson Chamisa has vowed to expose the so called bogus CCC candidates, by holding rallies in all the affected areas.
“We will deal with all those who participated in the illegal activities of fielding double candidates, which has resulted in the representation of bogus candidates claiming affiliation with our party. As a means of exposing these imposters, we will hold rallies in the affected constituencies and wards. These individuals falsely purpote to represent our party when in fact they were never authorised to do so. Rest assured, these fraudulent candidates will face the consequences of their actions as justice must be served in a court of law,” Chamisa.
Seventeen individuals who were not on the official party list in Harare Province successfully filed their parliamentary nomination papers on a CCC ticket ahead of the general elections to be held on 23 August, have insisted that they were lawfully nominated and urged the Electoral Court to dismiss the party’s application filed last week. The 17 candidates are all represented by Madzima and Company Law Chambers, raising suspicion that they are coordinated.