(Last Updated on March 1, 2016 by Editor)
ZIMBABWE – What prompted the two papers to revisit the story was the emergence of photographs which showed Dr Nyatsuro and his wife Veronica socialising with Grace Mugabe. As the Daily Mail put it ‘Grinning with Mrs Mugabe, GP who was handed white couple’s farm’. The photograph was seen as disproving the Nyatsuros’ denial that nepotism had played a part in the allocation of the farm to someone who has become a British citizen and lived in the UK for the past 15 years.
The mass circulation Daily Mail has been assiduously digging away at the scandal. For their latest report . That it has been joined so enthusiastically by the upmarket Daily Telegraph perhaps reflects the Telegraph’s irritation at the Nyatsuros earlier blustering legal threats against the paper which prompted it to drop a previous story from their website.
The same Zanu PF bullying tactics were made against the Vigil but we have not been deterred from demonstrating outside their Nottingham clinic 130 miles north of London to show their patients what sort hypocrites the Nyatsuros are. Our latest protest yesterday was attended by 50 from as far afield as Edinburgh and Portsmouth.
A Daily Mail journalist interviewed us there. She then tried to ask Veronica Nyatsuro some questions, only to be pushed angrily away. But fortunately in the UK we can stand up to Zanu PF’s bullying. Our demonstration was addressed by Vigil founder member Ephraim Tapa who said the Nyatsuros were part of last days Zanu PF looting frenzy, which has also seen other farm seizures and chaos in Marange.
Many of the Nottingham demonstrators turned up to support the presentation of the Vigil petition addressed PrimeMinister Cameron which was handed in by: Enniah Dube, Sharon Moyo, CathrineMusa, Chipo Parirenyatwa, Roseline Mukucha and Vinbai Karumbidza. The petition reads: Zimbabwean exiles in the United Kingdom and sympathisers are appalled by the behaviour of Dr Sylvester Nyatsuro and his wife Veronica who run the Willows Medical Centre in Nottingham. Dr Nyatsuro is a British citizen, long resident in this country, yet he has illegally seized a farm in Zimbabwe owned by a white Zimbabwean farmer, Mr Phillip Rankin, who bought it with the approval of the Mugabe government. Dr Nyatsuro and his wife are reported to be connected to Grace Mugabe. We are puzzled why a British doctor should want a farm in Zimbabwe since he and his wife are apparently in full-time employment here and have no known farming expertise in a country facing starvation. We ask your government to consider revoking Dr Nyatsuro’s citizenship on the grounds that ‘it was obtained by means of fraud, false representation or concealment of any material fact’ (see: Deprivation of British citizenship and withdrawal of passport facilities – file:///Users/GG/Downloads/SN06820%20(1).pdf: House of Commons Library). We also question his suitability to run an NHS clinic in Nottingham while farming in Zimbabwe.
It was accompanied by this letter: Dear Prime Minister: Zimbabwean exiles in the United Kingdom and supporters ask your government to look at the case of Dr Sylvester Nyatsuro, a GP running a clinic in Nottingham with hiswife Veronica. Dr Nyatsuro is from Zimbabwe but has live in the UK for the past 15 years and is now a British citizen. The Sunday Times says he came here as an asylum seeker but this has not stopped him from violently seizing a farm inZimbabwe owned by a Zimbabwean citizen, Phillip Rankin and his family. We are not aware that Dr Nyatsuro has any farming knowledge or whether he intends to relinquish his Nottingham practice so we wonder what justification he has to take over one of the last remaining white-owned farms in Zimbabwe, beyond being given the go ahead by the Mugabes with whom he and his wife are reported to have connections. The Zimbabwe Vigil draws your attention to the starvation threatening millions of Zimbabweans and the urgent need to resuscitate agriculture and asks you whether ‘slimming expert’ Dr Nyatsuro is a person likely to further this goal. We believe that he and his wife are Mugabe predators and Dr Nyatsuro’s citizenship should be revoked because we believe it must have been obtained under false pretences. We enclose a petition signed by people from around the world who have passed by the Zimbabwe Vigil, which has been held outside the Zimbabwe Embassy in London for more than thirteen years. The petition has also received more than 7,000 online signatures.
- Thanks to those who attended the Nottingham protest: Alice Shimika, Audrey Chihoho, Catherine Musa, CathrineMashinge, Cephas Maswoswa, Chamunorwa Chisuko, Chipo Kamhunga, Chipo Parirenyatwa, Clever Manjoro, Danny Kadiki, Deborah Harry, Dennis Benton, Edna Mdoka, Edward Murota, Elector Zvorwadza, Ellah Mhere, Enniah Dube, Ephraim Tapa, Esther Munyira, Esther Nyambi, Fungayi Mabhunu, Hellena Gusinyu, Irvine Huni, Jestina Jenami, John Burke, Jolene Staal, Lazarus Matiyenga, Maqhawe Manana, Mary Ndoro, Mercy Bayipayi, Moline Nyabonda, Nelson Dauramanzi, Nicodimus Muganhu, Percy Dube, Phillip Mahlahla, Phylis Magejo, Portiah Tobaiwa, Praxedes Mungwari, Rashiwe Bayisayi, Rose Benton, Roseline Mukucha, Simba Chengeta, Sipiwe Dube, Tafadzwa Madzivadondo, Tawanda Rusape,Tino Mashonganyika, Xoliso Sithole, Yvonne Makombe and Yvonne Ndlovu.
- Thanks also to those who came to the Vigil early to help set up: Angeline Huni, Anna Mafunga, Barbara Kachidza, Benjamin Semwayo, Catherine Musa, Charles Mararirakwenda,Elton Mzezewa, Fungisai Mupandira, Humphrey Dube, Isabell Gwatidzo, Jacob Mandipira, Joshua Kahari. Julius Tanyaradzwa Matera, Kevin Gondo, Linda Mariyacha, Maxwell Kudita, Patricia Masamba, Roseline Mukucha, Sally Mutseyami, Sidumiso Nyoni, Tafadzwa Buka, Tatenga Gutah and Vimbai Karumbidza. Thanks to Isabell, Roseline and Vimbai for looking after the front table and to Humphrey and Julius for putting up the banners. A special thank you to those who stayed behind to look after the Vigil when everyone else went to 10 Downing Street: Ben Chigamba, Esther Nyambi, Patricia Masamba and Kevin Gondo.
FOR THE RECORD: 77 signed the register.
EVENTS AND NOTICES:
- ROHR National Executive meeting. Saturday 5th March from 11 am to 1.30 pm. Venue: Strand Continental Hotel (first floor lounge), 143 Strand, London WC2R 1JA. For directions see below.
- The Restoration of Human Rights in Zimbabwe (ROHR) is the Vigil’s partner organization based in Zimbabwe. ROHR grew out of the need for the Vigil to have an organization on the ground in Zimbabwe which reflected the Vigil’s mission statement in a practical way. ROHR in the UK actively fundraises through membership subscriptions, events, sales etc to support the activities of ROHR in Zimbabwe. Please note that the official website of ROHR Zimbabwe is http://www.rohrzimbabwe.org/. Any other website claiming to be the official website of ROHR in no way represents us.
- Zimbabwe Action Forum (ZAF). Saturday 5th March from 6.15 pm. The Zimbabwehuman rights campaigner Ben Freeth hopes to join us. Venue: Strand Continental Hotel (first floor lounge), 143 Strand, London WC2R 1JA. From the Vigil it’s about a 10 minute walk, in the direction away from Trafalgar Square. The Strand Continental is situated on the southside of the Strand between Somerset House and the turn off onto Waterloo Bridge. The entrance is marked by a sign at street level. It’s between a newsagent and an optician. Nearest underground: Temple (District and Circlelines) and Holborn.
- Zimbabwe Action Forum (ZAF) meets regularly after the Vigil to discuss ways to help those back in Zimbabwe to fight oppression and achieve true democracy.
- Swaziland Vigil. Saturday 5th March from 10 am to 1 pm outside the Swaziland High Commission, 20 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6LB.
- Protest to mark anniversary of the disappearance of Itai Dzamara. Saturday 12thMarch from 2 – 6 pm outside the Zimbabwe Embassy in London. The protest is to mark one year since Dzamara’s abduction by intelligence agents.
- Zimbabwe Yes We Can Movement holds monthly meetings in London as the political face of ROHR and the Vigil.
- Zimbabwe Vigil Highlights 2015 can be viewed on this link: http://www.zimvigil.co.uk/vigil-news/campaign-news/746-zimbabwe-vigil-highlights-2015. Links to previous years’ highlights are listed on 2015 Highlights page.
- Facebook pages:
The Vigil, outside the Zimbabwe Embassy, 429 Strand, London, takes place every Saturday from 14.00 to 18.00 to protest against gross violations of human rights in Zimbabwe. The Vigil which started in October 2002 will continue until internationally-monitored, free and fair elections are held in Zimbabwe. http://www.zimvigil.co.uk.