(Last Updated on January 15, 2021 by GERALD NCUBE)
HARARE – Vice President Constantino Chiwenga has dismissed reports that the recent surge in Covid-19 cases has overwhelmed the country’s health facilities.
In a statement on Friday, Chiwenga who doubles up as the Minister of Health insisted that there was no deficit of hospital beds in the country.
“Admittedly, the recent escalation of cases of the pandemic in the country caused a high demand for health care. Nonetheless, let me reassure citizens that Zimbabwe’s public and private health institutions still have adequate capacity to offer health services to all patients,” said Chiwenga
Instead, he said these reports were ’embellished social media allegations by some pen-mercenaries.’
“In light of widely circulating reports alleging that there is a serious deficit of hospital beds, let me point out that these were ‘embellished social media allegations by some pen-mercenaries.’ However, if the need arises in future, my Ministry may consider options of increasing facilities currently designated for COVID 19 or designate more hospitals to take in patients,” he added.
This is despite the fact that these claims were also made by some top government officials including the Permanent Secretary in the Information Ministry Nick Mangwana who recently said the country was being overrun by the pandemic.
Chiwenga said in the worst-case scenario, all hospitals may be directed to take in citizens affected by Covid-19.
“In a worst-case scenario, that has so far not manifested, all hospitals in the country may be directed to take in citizens affected by COVID 19,” he added.