(Last Updated on February 26, 2021 by GERALD NCUBE)
Chevrons go for a kill against Afghanistan
Zimbabwe Cricket won the toss in a warm up match against Afghanistan and elected to bat first as they managed 297-4 at stumps.
Having been off the international scene for a while due to the pandemic, the players showed quality ahead of the 2 Tests and 3 T20 series. Kevin Kasuza and Sean Williams got off the blocks blazing as they managed 129 runs and 86 runs respectively to set a high tone for the visitors.
The other highlight of the day was promising starlet, Wesley Madhevere who has already posted 36 and not out thus showing marginal efforts and qualities to perform at the high stage regardless being 20 years old.
Despite criticism for the young squad and lack of International matches, if the practice match is anything to go by then the Chevrons have just found their feet again.
The introduction of young players will go a long way as the seasoned players are reaching their prime time hence a change needed within the squad.
What next for women’s football?
The coming of the Pandemic was a nightmare for everyone but it may have been an assassin for women’s football in Zimbabwe.
Before the Pandemic, women’s football quality was just poor and to consider the Mighty Warriors have waved the flag higher than the Warriors of late after qualifying for the Rio Olympics would be a shame.
While there is talk of resuming the men’s League, one would clearly state that the football board has failed as they should be considering all leagues having had as much time to plan and also correct the loopholes left by those that resumed earlier.
The football board has taken more than a year to try and get the Castle Premier League back and that has left questions as to just when women’s football will resume. It may be time women’s football was given as much funding and support considering the men’s league barely makes any revenues from TV broadcasting, jersey sales and sponsorship.
On the other hand, the lack of domestic football is likely to make an impact as most players called up to the National team ahead of the qualifers have not had minutes under their belt which will result in low match fitness against opponents who cannot say the same.
- Zimbabwe Warriors provisional squad was released yesterday with U.K based players included despite travel restrictions and Billiat who has been on the sidelines due to injury.
- Zimbabwe rowing sensation, Danielle Kaschula made more history as the teenager became the first Southern African to win a medal (bronze) at the World Indoor Rowing Championship.
- David Warner and Jofra Archer will be playing alongside each other this summer as Southern Brave signed both International rivals.
- Leicester march out of the Europa League after a 2-0 defeat to Slavia Prague.
- Ex-US Olympics coach found dead after sex charges.
- Dean Henderson looks to leave Man Utd in the summer if he is not made first choice goalkeeper.
- Will Tuchel get his first defeat as Chelsea boss when they face Man Utd on Sunday?